Hello! Its a new week and I will be sharing something from a different field today. I am so excited to tell you about some awesome ideas you never took serious that could lead you to becoming a millionaire (terms and conditions apply)
Yes! Did you know that many of the most successful people in business today started out as teenage entrepreneurs. No matter how small or funny it seemed, they started something and today we hear of them everywhere.
You might ask yourself how you will get the funds you need to start a business. Well, its quite straight forward. Get funds from parents/guardians, aunts, uncles, sibling and your personal savings (that’s right, your savings!). If you don’t have any savings of your own, you should consider starting now. You have an edge over adults in this area. Utilise it well.
Do you also know you have an incredible advantage over past generations? And that’s because more resources to build knowledge and skills are available than ever before (Google helps perform the wonders) if only you have the courage and persistence to take advantage of them. The opportunities are truly great.
While starting a business isn’t easy, it will change your life for better. You will learn to think on your feet, overcome tough challenges, be creative, manage finances, be diplomatic, and lead a team. You would also learn to be independent in some aspects and what its like to earn a living.
After my research, I discovered that most ideas that teens can take advantage of are not quite applicable here in Nigeria. For example, lawn mowing, lawn care, garage sales, babysitting, errand running and a whole lot. But few would be of great help to you. Some of them would only be possible during your school holidays while some could be done part time along side school activities. Its not child’s play so don’t expect it to come easy.
So, here are awesome business ideas you can start all by yourself, although a few of them might require some kind of specialised knowledge.
1. Web design/Graphics design: This requires training in any registered computer school around you. It also requires constant practice. You make your money when your designs are unique. If you love what you do, there’s always room for improvement and becoming the best. You would need a computer, certain softwares like Corel Draw, Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator and probably an internet connection. Constantly update yourself with the developments in this field and you would on your way to the top.
2. Blogging: Are you a good writer, or simply have a great sense of humour? Are you an expert in Entertainment, fashion, academics, story telling or any particular field? If you can get a lot of people to read what you have to say, you can make money at it by starting a blog. The best way to make money from blogging is by putting up paid adverts on your blog say for your friends and family for example. Who knows even big corporations might be interested too.
Owning a blog is very easy and only takes few minutes. But maintaining it requires persistence and originality. Linda ikeji and Stella Dimoko Korkus are good examples of super bloggers in Nigeria. Keep this in mind, more visitors equals more value for your blog and invariably higher advert rates. Keep your content up-to-date and as original as possible.
3. T-shirts business: This business is quite large but the market is big enough for millions to come in. You need someone to put you through it if you wish to start solely or you can simply market for a designer and get your commission. Good pay! All you need is the right customers. Everybody wears a t-shirt for different reasons and occasion so you can never go short of customers.
4. Craft works: Do you have a passion for artworks? Then think business into it and be on your way to making millions. Jewelry making (beads and wire works) is becoming well known among Nigerians today. It requires training and originality. Also, the internet would help provide you with designs and inspiration. You could make greeting cards, pillow cases and many others without spending a fortune. Look around your environment and pick out ideas you can improvise on.
5. Selling! Selling! Selling!: I can’t start mentioning all the things you can sell to people. The list is so long. Study the environment well and get a list of the wants of people. You can begin with a very small quantity to ease the stress of getting large capital. Make sure your goods are at an affordable price. Don’t over-charge and try not ot run at a loss. Also be careful what you sell to people. Judas iscariot sold Jesus for money. I bet you don’t want to be like him.
6. Educational services: Be a private lesson tutor for a friend/child around you. Pass the right information and get paid. All you need to do is know the subject area you are good at, inform people about you, fix a time/day that is convenient for both parties and you are good to go. If you love teaching, this is a good one for you
If you’re a teen reading this post know that you’re already 90 percent way ahead of other people your age when it comes to starting a million naira Business idea.
To enter the world of entrepreneurs can be challenging at times. You need hardwork, originality, discipline, determination and courage. You would experience setbacks and challenges but they are nothing compared to the rewards of starting and growing your own business. So don’t let anything slow you down, go for it with all you’ve got!
Remember, do not eat the seed and the bread. Save the profit that comes in no matter how small. Do not be discouraged because little drops of water make a MIGHTY ocean.
Have a blessed week!
Send your questions on how to start your business and other issues to:
We are always ready to lend an helping hand.